of the Stockton Art League
The Stockton Art League began in the 1930s as a group of artists who met every week at the Haggin Museum and drew. One of the group, Marcella Wood, conceived the idea to form an art club. Because of her efforts, the Stockton Art League was officially established in 1936 with Marcella Wood as president. She held the office for two years.
The second president was Oscar Galgiani. He was a well-known artist in the community. In 1964 Oscar Galgiani painted murals for the San Joaquin County courthouse.
The third president was Ruby Zahn White. She also was a very talented artist and made many artistic contributions to the community. When she died, she very generously bequeathed money to S.A.L. At our Annual Haggin Exhibition a $200.00 prize is awarded in her name.
Our fourth president was Theodosia Benjamin, and May Schooley was the fifth.
Our sixth president was Mabel Myers, who also left a bequest to S.A.L. and a $160.00 prize is given in hername at the Haggin Exhibition.
In 2011 the Stockton Art League celebrated its 75th anniversary. The Stockton Art League has held its 56th Annual League Exibition at the Haggin Museum in 2010 and looks forward to this biennial association with the Haggin.
In 2001, the Elsie May Goodwin Gallery opened, providing a permanent home for the Art League. See more about Elsie May Goodwin. »