We are pleased to welcome Renee Koon to the Stockton Art League Board of Directors. Renee is filling one of our two board vacancies and will be a member at large. There is still one opening on the board that we hope to fill by the end of the year. If you think that you may be interested in joining the board please join us at one of our meetings. We meet on the first Wednesday of each month at 10am at the gallery. Meetings typically last about two hours.
As a member of the board, you would become part of a hard working group of if dedicated members. Board members must attend monthly meetings, head or participate in various committees and help out on projects. The board sets policy and makes decisions on the direction of SAL and the gallery. There is no term for board members; you serve as long as you wish. There are term limits for officers. Officers serve for two years and may run for election to a second term. The President, VicePresident and Secretary position all expire at the end of this year. We currently have one candidate for President, none for Vice President and our Secretary, Michelle Zachlod is going to run for a second term. We need a full slate of candidates, at least two for each office. We urgently need you to run for office. IF WE DO NOT HAVE ALL OUR OFFICER POSITIONS FILLED WE RISK REMAINING A NONPROFIT ORGANIZATION. Election for officers will be held at our December general meeting.
The next Board of Directors meeting will be on Wednesday Septembert 2nd, 2015 at 10am. Members are welcome to attend all board meetings and to express opinions and offer ideas.
Demo Artist of the MonthDeanna Hunt - The Joy of Drawing
Deanna Hunt has been teaching art for twentyfive years. Since 2005, she has been teaching, working, and exhibiting in Stockton where she teaches art and yoga classes at University of the Pacific. Art practice, for Deanna, is the integration of life, teaching and yoga, and the desire to elevate the divine within the human experience.
She earned her BFA in Studio Art from the University of the Pacific and MFA in Painting from Portland State University, Oregon.
Deanna will have numerous works for sale at special prices only for this event. The public is invited to attend the demo at no charge.
A donation has been made to the SAL in Shirley’s name by Dick Massa
4th Fall SAL Juried Show and SaleSeptember 1st-26th (No Artist of the Month)
Additional Options for Fulfilling your Staffing Requirements
For those members who need to fulfill their staffing times, there are two additional ways to do it.
1. Staff the counter from 4-7pm during the second Saturday reception. This would credit you with a three hour period of staffing.
2. Work the 3rd Thursday Miracle Mile events. This would credit you with a three period of staffing. If you wish to fulfill some of your time using one of the above options, please sign up at least two weeks inadvance by notifying Dick Massa.
3. Staff a three hour period or one six hour day helping Dick Massa during the Pick Up and Delivery days. If you wish to fulfill some of your time using one of the above options, please sign up at least two weeks in advance by notifying Dick Massa.
From the gallery Director:
Problems with sale receipts occurring
Some staffers are becoming lax when filling out the sales receipts. Listed are some things to remember to do when filling out a sales receipt. Take your time and don’t let yourself get rattled.
Be sure to fill in the date of the sale.
Sign your name in the proper box near bottom of the receipt. If there is a question about the purchase we can call you to clarify any questions.
Put the artist’s name on all receipts. Write in the buyers name on the receipt if the purchase is other than greeting cards or a lower priced item. You can get their name off of their check and charge slip.
When selling jewelry put the artists coded number on the receipt. This helps the artist to keep track of their inventory.
If paying by check, put the check number on the receipt. Also use the deposit only stamp on the back of the check. This prevents someone other than the gallery from cashing it.
If paying by cash, mark the cash box at the top of the receipt.
If paying with a credit card, staple the signed credit card receipt to the front of the receipt, not the back. Staple the second receipt onto the front of the pink receipt and give to the customer.
This will help me to keep better records for the bookkeeper.
Art League Member Instructors
Art classes at Oak Park Senior Center
9:30am - 11:30
209-478-2731 or firstname.lastname@example.org for details
Jagged Lines of Imagination Academy
Classes focusing on cartoons, comics, and animation.
Come see us at:
4422 N. Pershing Ave., Stockton CA 95207
(209) 479-4128 or www.JLIAcademy.com
Hutchins St. Square Community Center Watercolor
Beginner classes: 9am - 11am Thurs.
Intermediate & Advanced: Noon - 3pm Thurs.
Chinese Brush Painting (Ink) Workshops
Tina Moore, PSA, PSW
Pastel Painting Workshops/Instruction
Gay Lynn Saunders
Wire Wrap Jewelry Classes
Private instruction and monthly classes at:
Hutchins Square Community Center,
Watercolor & Brushing Lettering
Watercolor. For class information send
#10 SASE to:
P.O. Box 512, Jackson, CA 95642
Cliff & Ann Johnston
Mary Ann Poletti
Janis Pastore Smith
H. Lee Dempsey, Jr.
Gene T. Mar
Melinda Meyer Niemi
Nadine Merrill Persson
Joanie Selman Prince
Nancy & Bill Thomas
New SAL gallery guidelines for membership
1. Each individual/artist must be a member of the Stockton Art League, and pay one of the existing membership dues levels. Minimum dues are $35/year.
2. Each member may enter up to 4 pieces of their original art work in show (every 2 months). Work must be framed (unless the canvas sides are painted as part of the work) and have a wire hanger.
3. Art work shall be recent work done within the last 4 years. All art work must be for sale. Once submitted, work will remain for the duration of the show, unless it is sold. It may then be replaced without additional fee. Displays may not be changed nor entered after show is hung without consulting Aleen, Gallery Director.
4. There is a $5.00 charge for each painting entry into 2 month show. Exceptions are as follows:
- Three-dimiensional work: $7.00 per month
- Matted art work (in bins): $7.00 per 2 months
(maximum of 15 pieces)
- Jewelry: $7.00 per month
- Scarves: $7.00 per month
5. There will be a new exhibit approximately every 60 days. Art work may be re-entered every 6 months. Gallery receives 30% commission on all sold work. Schedule is published in the Collagraph Newsletter.
6. Art work will be accepted at the discretion of the Gallery Director. Any unresolved issues will be referred to the Board of Directors for review.
7. When exhibiting their art in Gallery, member is required to staff a minimum of 6 hours per month for each month their work is shown. Shifts are usually 3 hours twice a month, or one 6 hour shift - depending on member preference. If member is unable to staff at their scheduled time/date, it is their responsibility to find a replacement. If a replacement cannot be found, please notify the Gallery Director at least 24 hours in advance.
8. At time of entry into 2 month show, a calendar will be available for staffing signup. 9. For new members who have a working, full-time paid position of at least 5 days, OR a medical problem that would prevent staffing, the bi-monthly entry fee will be $7.00 per painting (four maximum) with 40% commission to the gallery on each piece sold.
10. Please submit any concerns about the Gallery in writing to Dick Massa, Director of the Gallery.
2015 Stockton Art League Membership »
- Monthly demonstrations
- Six shows a year
- 12 featured artists
- Workshops with reception
- Tours to art related
- Juried Haggin Show destinations
- Show catalog
- Member roster
- Art Auction
- Monthly newsletter