Unfortunately, I must begin this letter with an apology. Last month as the Board was discussing the upcoming general membership meeting, we discovered that the bylaws called for the biannual meeting to be the second Monday in June; not July! That being said, I hope you will forgive the error.
In place of the June meeting, the Board has decided to hold the general meeting after demo artist Tony Segale’s watercolor class finishes at 5p.m. We believe this will be convenient for those of you who are attending the demonstration and for those who may be coming from work. Please mark your calendars.
I would also like to bring up the fact that we currently have several openings on the Board of Directors. As youknow, an organization can only be as strong as its leadership. While we have a very strong and exceptionally dedicated board, we certainly want to welcome others who would like to rise thsir voice. If you are interested in being on the board, please feel fre to contact me at 2096098894 or: email@example.com. Make your voice count!
This month also brings the opening of our bi-yearly Haggin Juried Art Show. Again, please mark your calendars for the July 7th reception honoring theses artists and their work. The exhibit will hang at The Haggin Museum through September 11th.
Lastly, check out our Artists of the Month! We are delighted to present the work of our YAP students and their instructors. In keeping with our monthly second Saturday reception, please come and enjoy the work of these young artists and enjoy the camaraderie of each other on July 9th. We hope to see you there.
The next Board of Directors meeting will be on Wednesday July 6th, 2016 at 10am. Members are welcome to attend all board meetings and to express opinions and offer ideas.
Artist of the Month - YAP Student ShowReception • July 9th • 4-7:00pm
The best of each students’ work will be displayed in the gallery as the July “Artist of the Month”. Our regular reception on Saturday, July 9 will honor these students. All are invited: parents, members, friends and relatives. Come see what great work our instructors, mentors and students have done to make our first series of art classes for children a success!
SAL: Youth Student Program, Set for Fall 2016
Due to the success of the June YAP Program for students, the classes are again going to be held in late October through early November.
Saturday mornings: October 22 & 29 and November 5 & 12.
9am-10:30 am, ages 6-8 11am-12:30 pm, ages 9-13
Instructors: Beatriz Flores and Martha Mangahas
Funds limited, donation of art sup-plies welcomed
Parents must come to the gallery to get their children officially on the ros-ter. Signups can’t accepted by phone.
You must signup for all four clas-ses:$12.00 for the course.
We do grant scholarships (waive the fee) to those who request it.
If classes are full the student can be placed on a waiting list.
Demo Artist of the Month - July 14th, 2016
Tony has been a full time professional artist since 1989.His commercial work includes logo design, hand lettered signs, reverse glass gold leaf, pictorials and large murals, and has received several commercial design awards. His murals and gold leaf can be seen throughout the Lodi area.
Tony began painting watercolor in 1998, creating color studies for projects. Willing to sing is own song, his fine art designs express his own images of what ought to be. He has been accepted into international, state and local exhibitions and has earned numerous fine art awards.
Considering himself a perpetual student of art, Tony envisions creating a world apart from photo realism into the realm of his imagination. He shares his skills and freedom with other students of the arts who participate in his workshops. If you plan to attend Tony’s demo please bring your watercolor paints and brushes along with some watercolor paper if you wish to participate in this demo/workshop. You may also just wish to watch the demo and not paint. Everyone is welcome.
Stockton Airport Schedule
July 26, 2016
Pick up & delivery
August 16, 2016
October 25, 2016
Pick up & delivery
November 15, 2016
Pick up & delivery, 9 am at airport. Airport receptions, 4-7 pm
Artists hanging at airport are now re- sponsible for delivering and picking up their own artwork
Please submit your label information for each piece of artwork to Dick Massa at least a week before hanging of the show.
Note: Any SAL members that are interested in hanging their artwork at the airport, please contact Pat Price at (209) 451-2240 or: firstname.lastname@example.org
General Member Meeting
Watch demo artist Tony Segale from 3 - 5 pm, July 9
Followed by the meeting starting at 5:30 pm
A donation has been made to the SAL in Delore’s name by Dick Massa
May 1, 2016
A donation has been made to the SAL in Milton’s name by Dick Massa
Art League Member Instructors
Art classes at Oak Park Senior Center
9:30am - 11:30
209-478-2731 or email@example.com for details
Hutchins St. Square Community Center Watercolor
Beginner classes: 9am - 11am Thurs.
Intermediate & Advanced: Noon - 3pm Thurs.
Chinese Brush Painting (Ink) Workshops
Ines Leontiev Hogan
Tracy Grand Theatre Center for the Arts
Relief Printmaking, Wednesdays, 6-9pm
Monotype Printmaking, Mondays, 7-9pm
Drawing, Tuesdays, 7-9pm
See www.atthegrand.org or: Ileontievfirstname.lastname@example.org
Tina Moore, PSA, PSW
Pastel Painting Workshops/Instruction
Gay Lynn Saunders
Wire Wrap Jewelry Classes
Private instruction and monthly classes at:
Hutchins Square Community Center,
Watercolor & Brushing Lettering
Watercolor. For class information send
#10 SASE to:
P.O. Box 512, Jackson, CA 95642
Cliff & Ann Johnston
Mary Ann Poletti
Janis Pastore Smith
H. Lee Dempsey, Jr.
Gene T. Mar
Betty Jean Reynolds
Gay Lynn Saunders
Mary Lois Thompson
New SAL gallery guidelines for membership
1. Each individual/artist must be a member of the Stockton Art League, and pay one of the existing membership dues levels. Minimum dues are $35/year.
2. Each member may enter up to 4 pieces of their original art work in show (every 2 months). Work must be framed (unless the canvas sides are painted as part of the work) and have a wire hanger.
3. Art work shall be recent work done within the last 4 years. All art work must be for sale. Once submitted, work will remain for the duration of the show, unless it is sold. It may then be replaced without additional fee. Displays may not be changed nor entered after show is hung without consulting Aleen, Gallery Director.
4. There is a $5.00 charge for each painting entry into 2 month show. Exceptions are as follows:
- Three-dimiensional work: $7.00 per month
- Matted art work (in bins): $7.00 per 2 months
(maximum of 15 pieces)
- Jewelry: $7.00 per month
- Scarves: $7.00 per month
5. There will be a new exhibit approximately every 60 days. Art work may be re-entered every 6 months. Gallery receives 30% commission on all sold work. Schedule is published in the Collagraph Newsletter.
6. Art work will be accepted at the discretion of the Gallery Director. Any unresolved issues will be referred to the Board of Directors for review.
7. When exhibiting their art in Gallery, member is required to staff a minimum of 6 hours per month for each month their work is shown. Shifts are usually 3 hours twice a month, or one 6 hour shift - depending on member preference. If member is unable to staff at their scheduled time/date, it is their responsibility to find a replacement. If a replacement cannot be found, please notify the Gallery Director at least 24 hours in advance.
8. At time of entry into 2 month show, a calendar will be available for staffing signup. 9. For new members who have a working, full-time paid position of at least 5 days, OR a medical problem that would prevent staffing, the bi-monthly entry fee will be $7.00 per painting (four maximum) with 40% commission to the gallery on each piece sold.
10. Please submit any concerns about the Gallery in writing to Dick Massa, Director of the Gallery.
2016 Stockton Art League Membership »