An Executive Committee made up of The Board of Directors will be running the board meetings until vacant positions are filled. Currently, the board needs a president and a vice president. Any SAL members interested in filling these two positions please contact Dick Massa or any board member. These positions must be filled soon.
Thanks to generous donations from Maria Flumiani and Denny Ah-Tye we now have a beautiful address above our door painted by SAL member Tony Segale.
The graffiti has been painted over the recent tagging on the Maple St. mural and the Art Gallery sign over the front door has been cleaned by Dick Massa.
It appears that our present water heater has quit on us. It will probably have to be replaced. If that is the case we might be asking for donations to help pay for a new one. Stay tuned.
The next Board of Directors meeting will be on Wednesday October 5th, 2016 at 10am. Members are welcome to attend all board meetings and to express opinions and offer ideas.
Artist of the Month - SAL Board of DirectorsReception • October 8th • 4-7:00pm
The SAL Board of Directors will be showcasing their talents as Artist of the Month for October. The members participating will be Jun Jamosmos, Denny Ah-Tye, Mary Little, Dick Massa, Pat Price and Maria Flumiani.
The sale runs through the month of September.
Fall sale scheduled for October 14 & 15
The fall art sale scheduled for Friday and Saturday October 14 and 15 will include art books, frames, paints, brushes and miscellaneous art equipment.
Members are being asked to donate any of the above items for the sale. You may bring items to the gallery anytime until October 8. All items must be donations. This is our once a year fundraiser.
Demo Artist of the Month - October 13th, 2016
The drawing classes with Raoul Mora have been a huge success. It meets every second Thursday from 3:00-5:00pm at the Elsie May Goodwin Gallery.
The next session will be on Still Life. Please bring a small still life setup to draw from if you want to participate. Getting back to SAL’s roots which started as a critique group, we will reinitiate what was known as The Third Eye by Gail Hazard who was our President from 1960-1962. This was a meeting of members wherein they would bring a painting they were working on or recently completed and have the group go over it to see if there were any improvements that could be made. Serious art students will tell you that many times you learn more at critiques than sometimes doing.
Raoul will conduct the critique at the near end of our drawing session, so bring in one piece of your recent work as well as a pencil and paper for the drawing portion
Stockton Airport Schedule
October 25, 2016
Pick up & delivery
November 15, 2016
Pick up & delivery, 9 am at airport. Airport receptions, 4-7 pm
Artists hanging at airport are now re- sponsible for delivering and picking up their own artwork
Please submit your label information for each piece of artwork to Dick Massa at least a week before hanging of the show.
Note: Any SAL members that are interested in hanging their artwork at the airport, please contact Pat Price at (209) 451-2240 or: email@example.com
SAL: Youth Student Program, set for Fall, 2016
Due to the success of the June YAP Program for students, the classes are again going to be held in late October through early November.
October 22 & 29 and November 5 & 12
9am10:30 am, ages 68 11am12:30 pm, ages 913
Beatriz Flores and Martha Mangahas
Funds limited, donation of art supplies welcomed.
Parents must come to the gallery to get their children officially on the roster. Sign ups can’t be accepted by phone.
You must signup for all four classes:$12.00 for the course.
We do grant scholarships (waive the fee) to those who request it.
If classes are full the student can be placed on a waiting list.
A donation has been made to the SAL in Delore’s name by Dick Massa
May 1, 2016
A donation has been made to the SAL in Milton’s name by Dick Massa
A donation has been made to the SAL in Milton’s name by Dick Massa
Art League Member Instructors
Art classes at Oak Park Senior Center
9:30am - 11:30
209-478-2731 or firstname.lastname@example.org for details
Hutchins St. Square Community Center Watercolor
Beginner classes: 9am - 11am Thurs.
Intermediate & Advanced: Noon - 3pm Thurs.
Chinese Brush Painting (Ink) Workshops
Ines Leontiev Hogan
Tracy Grand Theatre Center for the Arts
Relief Printmaking, Wednesdays, 6-9pm
Monotype Printmaking, Mondays, 7-9pm
Drawing, Tuesdays, 7-9pm
See www.atthegrand.org or: Ileontievemail@example.com
Tina Moore, PSA, PSW
Pastel Painting Workshops/Instruction
Gay Lynn Saunders
Wire Wrap Jewelry Classes
Private instruction and monthly classes at:
Hutchins Square Community Center,
Watercolor & Brushing Lettering
Watercolor. For class information send
#10 SASE to:
P.O. Box 512, Jackson, CA 95642
Cliff & Ann Johnston
Mary Ann Poletti
Janis Pastore Smith
H. Lee Dempsey, Jr.
Gene T. Mar
Betty Jean Reynolds
Mary Lois Thompson
New SAL gallery guidelines for membership
1. Each individual/artist must be a member of the Stockton Art League, and pay one of the existing membership dues levels. Minimum dues are $35/year.
2. Each member may enter up to 4 pieces of their original art work in show (every 2 months). Work must be framed (unless the canvas sides are painted as part of the work) and have a wire hanger.
3. Art work shall be recent work done within the last 4 years. All art work must be for sale. Once submitted, work will remain for the duration of the show, unless it is sold. It may then be replaced without additional fee. Displays may not be changed nor entered after show is hung without consulting Aleen, Gallery Director.
4. There is a $5.00 charge for each painting entry into 2 month show. Exceptions are as follows:
- Three-dimiensional work: $7.00 per month
- Matted art work (in bins): $7.00 per 2 months
(maximum of 15 pieces)
- Jewelry: $7.00 per month
- Scarves: $7.00 per month
5. There will be a new exhibit approximately every 60 days. Art work may be re-entered every 6 months. Gallery receives 30% commission on all sold work. Schedule is published in the Collagraph Newsletter.
6. Art work will be accepted at the discretion of the Gallery Director. Any unresolved issues will be referred to the Board of Directors for review.
7. When exhibiting their art in Gallery, member is required to staff a minimum of 6 hours per month for each month their work is shown. Shifts are usually 3 hours twice a month, or one 6 hour shift - depending on member preference. If member is unable to staff at their scheduled time/date, it is their responsibility to find a replacement. If a replacement cannot be found, please notify the Gallery Director at least 24 hours in advance.
8. At time of entry into 2 month show, a calendar will be available for staffing signup. 9. For new members who have a working, full-time paid position of at least 5 days, OR a medical problem that would prevent staffing, the bi-monthly entry fee will be $7.00 per painting (four maximum) with 40% commission to the gallery on each piece sold.
10. Please submit any concerns about the Gallery in writing to Dick Massa, Director of the Gallery.
2016 Stockton Art League Membership »