At our December 8, general meeting Kristen Rinaker and Denny Ah-Tye volunteered to fill two of the openings on the board of directors. During the January 7 board meeting, both were elected to join he board as member at large. Phyllis Cook volunteered at the board meeting to fill another board opening and was also elected to the board as a member at large. Phyllis also volunteered to represent the gallery in Miracle Mile meetings and to keep the board informed of planned activities. We welcome our new board members, thank them for volunteering and look forward to their contributions to the Stockton Art League.
As of January 1, our vice president, Tom Wilson, resigned from the board. We thank Tom for his contributions and service to SAL. According to the SAL by-laws, the vice president becomes president at the end of the president’s term if elected by the members. My term expires at the end of this year. We need a member to volunteer to fill the vice president position and open board position as soon as possible in order to become familiar with the operations of the gallery and the board. The volunteering member would be subject to election by the board to fill the vice president position on a temporary basis and would be up for election by the members at our next general meeting on June 8. The idea of selling member art on the internet was discussed at the general member meeting and a committee was formed at the board meeting to explore the possibilities and make recommendations. The committee will present their findings at the February board meeting.
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED. In addition o the vice president position, we have openings for chairpersons and members of several committees. The most important position to fill after vice president is the Chairperson for marketing and publicity/social media. Please volunteer your time. It takes the efforts of all SAL members to make the gallery a continued success.
The next Board of Directors meeting will be on Wednesday February 4th, 2015 at 10am. Members are welcome to attend all board meetings and to express opinions and offer ideas.
General Membership Meeting
& Artist Demonstration • February 4th, 3-5pm
Gayle creates signature impressionistic works, using watercolor, acrylic, and mixed media. Her qualifications and expertise, as an artist, teacher, and host of the Art Revealed Show curator, speaker, demonstrator, juror and consultant are widely recognized and respected. This has been a year of dreams come true for Gayle Rappaport-Weiland. Collaboration and relationships helped her to create “The Art Revealed Show” www.artrevealdshow.com that she hosts and co-produces.
Gayle’s paintings have been exhibited in galleries and exhibitions throughout the United States and her coffee sleeves have been dis- tributed internationally. Gayle has been voted Best Visual Artist by the Sacramento News and Review, and Favorite Visual Artist by the Sierra Style Magazine many times. HGTV filmed and aired Gale’s art wall for the show “Look What I Did”. This artist has been interviewed on radio, television, and been written about in many newspapers and art publications.
Today she is here to empower, educate and enrich. She has been teaching for over 30 years
Artist in the News
SAL members who received awards at the Delicato Vineyards 2015 Fine Art Show are:
2nd Place, Cindy Wilbur; Honorable Mention, Cindy Wilbur, Dolly Sellars Wine/Grapes: 1st Place, Cindy Wilbur; Honorable Mention, Cindy Wilbur
1st Place, Tina Moore; Honorable Mention, Joe Busalacchi, Milton Tuitt, Tina Moore
3rd Place, Cheryl Long; Honorable Mention, Rasheeda Clawson
1st Place, Kathy Comden
Congratulations to all the SAL winners!
A donation has been made to SAL by Dick Massa
Artist of the Month - Milton TuittReception • February 14th • 4-7:00pm
My mentor recently reminded me that I have accomplished my mission of painting portraits fom coast to coast. From Arnies Attelier in the south of Bronx to the Crystal Palace Gallery in the Haight-Ashbury district of San Francisco.
My portraits include subjects from Malcolm “X” to Barack “O” and many other lesser known patrons across political and entertainment fields and various venues. My painting history has been shaped by the times, since most of my reference material is photographic (some recorded through the lens of my own camera) and reflects contemporary scenes. By exploring the impression of the moment with vibrant color and interesting elements that best support my design concepts I try to arrive at a graphic solution that is visually effective.
My portraits are regularly exhibited at the Stockton Art League, the Richmond Art Center and my studio, where I am available for commissioned assignments and my be reached at (209) 478-4784.
Area Art Events
Items for February from Jagged Lines of Imagination
Figures in Print & Pencil workshop
February 7, 2-4pm
Jagged Lines of Imagination Academy
2232 N. El Dorado
FREE (donations appreciated)
February 8, 10-4
Lodi Grape Festival
Delicato Family Vineyards 27th Annual Fine Art Show
January 14 - February 7, 2015
2015 Photography Show
February 1 - 28, 2015
Lodi Community Art Center
Art League Member Instructors
Art classes at Oak Park Senior Center
9:30am - 11:30
209-478-2731 or email@example.com for details
Jagged Lines of Imagination Academy
Classes focusing on cartoons, comics, and animation.
Come see us at:
4422 N. Pershing Ave., Stockton CA 95207
(209) 479-4128 or www.JLIAcademy.com
Hutchins St. Square Community Center Watercolor
Beginner classes: 9am - 11am Thurs.
Intermediate & Advanced: Noon - 3pm Thurs.
Holy Cross Church, Stockton
Wednesday, 9am-12 noon
Art lessons for kids
Ages 7 - 12
Chinese Brush Painting (Ink) Workshops
Tina Moore, PSA, PSW
Pastel Painting Workshops/Instruction
Oils and Acrylics | Adults & Children
The Art Korner
229 E. Alpine Ave.
Stockton, CA 95204
Gay Lynn Saunders
Wire Wrap Jewelry Classes
Private instruction and monthly classes at:
Hutchins Square Community Center,
Watercolor & Brushing Lettering
Lodi Arts Commission
Watercolor. For class information send
#10 SASE to:
P.O. Box 512, Jackson, CA 95642
Cliff & Ann Johnston
Mary Ann Poletti
H. Lee Dempsey, Jr.
Gene T. Mar
Nancy & Bill Thomas
New SAL gallery guidelines for membership
1. Each individual/artist must be a member of the Stockton Art League, and pay one of the existing membership dues levels. Minimum dues are $35/year.
2. Each member may enter up to 4 pieces of their original art work in show (every 2 months). Work must be framed (unless the canvas sides are painted as part of the work) and have a wire hanger.
3. Art work shall be recent work done within the last 4 years. All art work must be for sale. Once submitted, work will remain for the duration of the show, unless it is sold. It may then be replaced without additional fee. Displays may not be changed nor entered after show is hung without consulting Aleen, Gallery Director.
4. There is a $5.00 charge for each painting entry into 2 month show. Exceptions are as follows:
- Three-dimiensional work: $7.00 per month
- Matted art work (in bins): $7.00 per 2 months
(maximum of 15 pieces)
- Jewelry: $7.00 per month
- Scarves: $7.00 per month
5. There will be a new exhibit approximately every 60 days. Art work may be re-entered every 6 months. Gallery receives 30% commission on all sold work. Schedule is published in the Collagraph Newsletter.
6. Art work will be accepted at the discretion of the Gallery Director. Any unresolved issues will be referred to the Board of Directors for review.
7. When exhibiting their art in Gallery, member is required to staff a minimum of 6 hours per month for each month their work is shown. Shifts are usually 3 hours twice a month, or one 6 hour shift - depending on member preference. If member is unable to staff at their scheduled time/date, it is their responsibility to find a replacement. If a replacement cannot be found, please notify the Gallery Director at least 24 hours in advance.
8. At time of entry into 2 month show, a calendar will be available for staffing signup. 9. For new members who have a working, full-time paid position of at least 5 days, OR a medical problem that would prevent staffing, the bi-monthly entry fee will be $7.00 per painting (four maximum) with 40% commission to the gallery on each piece sold.
10. Please submit any concerns about the Gallery in writing to Dick Massa, Director of the Gallery.
2015 Stockton Art League Membership »
- Monthly demonstrations
- Six shows a year
- 12 featured artists
- Workshops with reception
- Tours to art related
- Juried Haggin Show destinations
- Show catalog
- Member roster
- Art Auction
- Monthly newsletter