We have been given an opportunity to participate with Art Expressions of San Joaquin in showing our artwork at the Stockton Airport. Artwork will be displayed for about 3 months and will be hung in two areas of the airport, the secure area and in the halls. Pieces to be hung in the halls must be large, minimum 16 x 20 inches including the frame. Pieces to be hung in the secure area can be any size. Sculptures and lamps may also be shown in the secure area and these pieces will be displayed behind glass. Each artist may submit up to four pieces of art. Art Expressions of San Joaquin will select the pieces of art that will be shown.
All artwork must be for sale and the gallery will receive a 25% commission on any sales. There is no fee for showing. All artwork must be hung by May 19. There is a Chamber of Commerce ribbon cutting ceremony that evening so your artwork will receive maximum exposure. The gallery will be responsible for hanging your artwork, preparing labels and being the contact point for sales. All artists must sign a waiver so that the airport is not responsible for theft, damage, etc.
Please tell Dick Massa if you are interested in participating in this showing. Space is limited and only the first 10 artists will be able to take advantage of this opportunity.
We are in desperate need of volunteers for the currently open position of vicepresident of the Stockton Art League, committee chairs for the 2016 Haggin Art Show, gallery publicity/social media and the 2016 Stockton Art League Anniversary.
We are also in need of someone to help out Dick Massa as the Asst. Gallery Director. All of our committees are in need of members to help out. We need your help. Please let Dick Massa know what you are volunteering for. It takes all of us, all SAL members to make the gallery a success.
The next Board of Directors meeting will be on Wednesday April 1st, 2015 at 10am. Members are welcome to attend all board meetings and to express opinions and offer ideas.
Gallery Art Sale Scheduled For April 17 & 18
The Elsie May Goodwin Gallery will be having an art sale on Friday, April, 17 and Saturday,18, 2015. Items will include frames, paints (new and used), brushes, previously donated art work, ceramics, jewelry and art related books. If members have any of these items that they would like to donate to the gallery, please do so by the end of March. This will be our Spring fundraiser. The gallery hopes to raise $1,000 to help pay for some events coming later in the year. For further information please contact Dick Massa at the gallery or at 209-467-7571.
Tina Moore workshop scheduled for April 26
Tina Moore will be having her second open workshop on Sunday, April 26, 10 - 4pm Fee
Elsie May Goodwin Gallery, Stockton, CA
This workshop is open to all mediums and artist skill levels.
Contact Tina at 209-423-9514 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Jewelry workshop scheduled for Friday, April 24
Fun or elegant jewelry an be made with wire of all types: Sterling Silver, Copper, Brass, Bronze, Art Wire. This class will focus on making a necklace with different kinds of links: beaded, shaped hammered, looped, spiraled, simple chain link. These will be suitable to wear alone or with a pendant (student should bring their own pendant). Beginner & Intermediate students are welcome.
Information on wire, tools, materials sources, and design elements and problem solving will be included. Students are encouraged to have their own basic tools (chainose pliers, flatnose pliers, flush cutters). Some tools will b available for loan on a limited basis. A written tutorial will also be handed out.
Friday, April 24, 12:30 3:30pm
Location: Elsie May Goodwin Gallery, Stockton, CA
Project kits will be available for purchase from instructor at the time of the class: Sterling Silver $15, Copper or Bronze $10. Students may use their own wire and stones (please contact instructor prior to class to assure the suitability of products). Class size is limited, so please register in advance. Please contact Gay Lynn to register or for more information: 2096072669 or email@example.com
A donation has been made to SAL by Dick Massa
1912 - 2015
Artist of the Month - Leona TobinReception • April 11th • 4-7:00pm
Oil on Canvas
Artist Leona Tobin is a contemporary expressionist’s painter who works primarily with oil on canvas. She’s a single mother to three beautiful children and a California native. Leona fell in love with art as a child, and takes comfort in the joy and therapy it provides her today. She says that all of life inspires her, and color fuels her desire to paint. She has assisted over 500 children in their creative endeavors and is an author illustrator of her children’s story, “Lilly’s Flight for Peace and the Fussyoderpus.” Her work has been shown at many venues and charity events throughout California and is currently shown at John Hanes Art Gallery in Boonville CA, and at Fume Bistro in Napa CA. Her work can be viewed online and in private installations throughout the states.
I have been blessed with a passion for creativity and selfexpression. Every painting is a story related to something I’ve experienced and also dream for. I incorporate simple line work with a lot of color and texture. My goal is to create a painting that evokes emotion while livening up a room. I hope my paintings impact people in a positive light and I hope to inspire others to open up, and also share their gifts with the world.
Area Art Events
Grand Theatre Center for the Arts in collaboration with the Tracy Art League presents
the 6th annual Expressions! Selections
A curated selection of 29 works by 24 artists
March 28 - May 9, 2015
Opening reception, Saturday, March 28, 12 - 2pm
Delicato Family Vineyards
19th Annual Photography Show
June 6 - 27, 2015
Information and entry forms are available at the Elsie May Goodwin Gallery
Art League Member Instructors
Art classes at Oak Park Senior Center
9:30am - 11:30
209-478-2731 or firstname.lastname@example.org for details
Jagged Lines of Imagination Academy
Classes focusing on cartoons, comics, and animation.
Come see us at:
4422 N. Pershing Ave., Stockton CA 95207
(209) 479-4128 or www.JLIAcademy.com
Hutchins St. Square Community Center Watercolor
Beginner classes: 9am - 11am Thurs.
Intermediate & Advanced: Noon - 3pm Thurs.
Holy Cross Church, Stockton
Wednesday, 9am-12 noon
Art lessons for kids
Ages 7 - 12
Chinese Brush Painting (Ink) Workshops
Tina Moore, PSA, PSW
Pastel Painting Workshops/Instruction
Oils and Acrylics | Adults & Children
The Art Korner
229 E. Alpine Ave.
Stockton, CA 95204
Gay Lynn Saunders
Wire Wrap Jewelry Classes
Private instruction and monthly classes at:
Hutchins Square Community Center,
Watercolor & Brushing Lettering
Lodi Arts Commission
Watercolor. For class information send
#10 SASE to:
P.O. Box 512, Jackson, CA 95642
Frieda Marie Stewart
Cliff & Ann Johnston
Mary Ann Poletti
Janis Pastore Smith
H. Lee Dempsey, Jr.
Gene T. Mar
Nancy & Bill Thomas
New SAL gallery guidelines for membership
1. Each individual/artist must be a member of the Stockton Art League, and pay one of the existing membership dues levels. Minimum dues are $35/year.
2. Each member may enter up to 4 pieces of their original art work in show (every 2 months). Work must be framed (unless the canvas sides are painted as part of the work) and have a wire hanger.
3. Art work shall be recent work done within the last 4 years. All art work must be for sale. Once submitted, work will remain for the duration of the show, unless it is sold. It may then be replaced without additional fee. Displays may not be changed nor entered after show is hung without consulting Aleen, Gallery Director.
4. There is a $5.00 charge for each painting entry into 2 month show. Exceptions are as follows:
- Three-dimiensional work: $7.00 per month
- Matted art work (in bins): $7.00 per 2 months
(maximum of 15 pieces)
- Jewelry: $7.00 per month
- Scarves: $7.00 per month
5. There will be a new exhibit approximately every 60 days. Art work may be re-entered every 6 months. Gallery receives 30% commission on all sold work. Schedule is published in the Collagraph Newsletter.
6. Art work will be accepted at the discretion of the Gallery Director. Any unresolved issues will be referred to the Board of Directors for review.
7. When exhibiting their art in Gallery, member is required to staff a minimum of 6 hours per month for each month their work is shown. Shifts are usually 3 hours twice a month, or one 6 hour shift - depending on member preference. If member is unable to staff at their scheduled time/date, it is their responsibility to find a replacement. If a replacement cannot be found, please notify the Gallery Director at least 24 hours in advance.
8. At time of entry into 2 month show, a calendar will be available for staffing signup. 9. For new members who have a working, full-time paid position of at least 5 days, OR a medical problem that would prevent staffing, the bi-monthly entry fee will be $7.00 per painting (four maximum) with 40% commission to the gallery on each piece sold.
10. Please submit any concerns about the Gallery in writing to Dick Massa, Director of the Gallery.
2015 Stockton Art League Membership »
- Monthly demonstrations
- Six shows a year
- 12 featured artists
- Workshops with reception
- Tours to art related
- Juried Haggin Show destinations
- Show catalog
- Member roster
- Art Auction
- Monthly newsletter