In December we will hold the first general membership meeting under our amended by-laws. The meeting will be held at the gallery on the second Monday in December, the 8th. The time is still to be decided but please mark the date on your calendars. At the meeting we will elect a new treasurer for a two year term and vote to approve a budget for 2015.
A committee has been formed to find candidates for the Treasurer position. If you re interested in the position or would like to nominate someone, please contact Cliff Johnston, the committee chairman. Jun Jamosmos has come forward to nominate himself for the Treasurer position. A board budget committee met October 29 to prepare a proposed 2015 budget. The proposed budget will be presented to the full board at the November board meeting. After approval by the Board of Directors members will received a copy of the proposed budget by email or mail at least 10 days prior to the general meeting.
The agenda for the general meeting is being developed and we need your input. So far in addition to the votes for Treasurer and the budget we will discuss art demonstrations/social gatherings for members, potential member art sales on the SAL website and openings for many of he gallery activity chairperson positions. What else would you like to discuss at the meeting?Please let us know. During the September Board of Directors meeting, Jun Jamosmos was elected to join the board. We look forward to taking advantage of his talent and experience in contributing to the board.
The next Board of Directors meeting will be on Wednesday November 5th, 2014 at 10am. Members are welcome to attend all board meetings and to express opinions and offer ideas.
General Membership Meeting
& Artist Demonstration • November 13th, 6-8pm
Judith Monroe is a mixed media artist with a strong background in traditional and alternative process photographic techniques. She has incorporated mixed media with photography for more than twentyfive years. Traveling on a journey of independent study since her college years, she is constantly expanding her knowledge and bringing more collage, writing, painting and drawing into her finished pieces.
Each artwork begins with a photograph and a desire to capture a memory or evoke emotions while telling a story. She collages photographs, sketches, papers and found items onto a surface, hen gradually adds color with pencils, acrylic glazes, wax pastels and “whatever seems right” for the piece.
The resulting imagery is reminiscent of her personal journal pages, with dominating photos that blend into abstracted landscapes of color and texture; hidden treasures of text and sketches wait for the viewer to discover them. Her artwork consists of layers of physical materials, representing layers of meaning; black and white photographs stand in for the physical world, Judith says, while layers of collage, color and text represent the spiritual, “giving our physical world meaning and substance.”
Judith’s unique creative process has been featured in local and national media. Her artworks are in collections from Sacramento to Scotland. Judith is currently represented in art galleries across Northern California.
Demo Coordinator Needed
The gallery is looking for a new demo artist coordinator. Since the artists are in place for the rest of 2014, all that is needed is someone to volunteer about two hours a month arranging and coordinating monthly demonstrations, setting up and taking down chairs, and making coffee for the break. Contact Maria Flumiani at 603-2375 if you are interested in filling this position.
Artist of the Month - Charlene MartinReception • November 8th • 4-7:00pm
Charlene Martin started studying fine art photography in 2010. She used mainstream digital photography methods for making photographs. Environmental portraiture, forgotten or overlooked places and objects are common subjects in her work. Searching for a more hands-on approach to photography, she started experimenting with alternative methods. Cameraless processes as well as manipulating digitally created prints are some of the new directions she has been exploring. Ms. Martin will be displaying works from her digital photography works as well as cyanotypes, ink jet transparency transfers and other surprises.
Ms. Martin is a member of the Stockton Art League, Lodi Community Art Center, Stockton Camera Club and the Central Valley Clickers.
Area Art Events
The Local Artisans Show & Sale
Saturday, November 15, 2014
Club Brookside 10am - 4pm
3536 Brookview Drive, Stockton, CA 95219
Cards are available at the gallery counter
21st Annual Fine Arts Festival
Fri., Nov. 21, 4pm - 8pm; Sat. Nov. 22, 10am - 4pm
Spanos Community Center at St. Basil’s Greek
920 W. March Lane, Stockton, CA
Cards are available at the gallery counter
Meltdown Art • Fall Events
Fri., Nov. 21, 4 - 8pm; Sat., Nov. 22, 10 - 4pm
St. Basils Greek Orthodox Church, Stockton, CA
Dec. 6 - Dec. 27, 2014
Reception Dec. 13, 2014
Featured Artist at Elsie May Goodwin Gallery
Cards are available at the gallery counter
Art League Member Instructors
Art classes at Oak Park Senior Center
9:30am - 11:30
209-478-2731 or firstname.lastname@example.org for details
Jagged Lines of Imagination Academy
Classes focusing on cartoons, comics, and animation.
Come see us at:
4422 N. Pershing Ave., Stockton CA 95207
(209) 479-4128 or www.JLIAcademy.com
Hutchins St. Square Community Center Watercolor
Beginner classes: 9am - 11am Thurs.
Intermediate & Advanced: Noon - 3pm Thurs.
Art lessons for kids
Ages 7 - 12
Chinese Brush Painting (Ink) Workshops
Tina Moore, PSA, PSW
Pastel Painting Workshops/Instruction
Oils and Acrylics | Adults & Children
The Art Korner
229 E. Alpine Ave.
Stockton, CA 95204
Gay Lynn Saunders
Wire Wrap Jewelry Classes
Private instruction and monthly classes at:
Hutchins Square Community Center,
Watercolor & Brushing Lettering
Lodi Arts Commission
Watercolor. For class information send
#10 SASE to:
P.O. Box 512, Jackson, CA 95642
Cliff & Ann Johnston
Mary Ann Poletti
Janis Pastore Smith
Dr. Darrell Burns, Jr.
H. Lee Dempsey, Jr.
Peg & Paul Fairbrook
Gene T. Mar
Janet Powell McKee
Scott & Ann Pickering
Nancy & Bill Thomas
Mary Lois Thompson
New SAL gallery guidelines for membership
1. Each individual/artist must be a member of the Stockton Art League, and pay one of the existing membership dues levels. Minimum dues are $35/year.
2. Each member may enter up to 4 pieces of their original art work in show (every 2 months). Work must be framed (unless the canvas sides are painted as part of the work) and have a wire hanger.
3. Art work shall be recent work done within the last 4 years. All art work must be for sale. Once submitted, work will remain for the duration of the show, unless it is sold. It may then be replaced without additional fee. Displays may not be changed nor entered after show is hung without consulting Aleen, Gallery Director.
4. There is a $5.00 charge for each painting entry into 2 month show. Exceptions are as follows:
- Three-dimiensional work: $7.00 per month
- Matted art work (in bins): $7.00 per 2 months
(maximum of 15 pieces)
- Jewelry: $7.00 per month
- Scarves: $7.00 per month
5. There will be a new exhibit approximately every 60 days. Art work may be re-entered every 6 months. Gallery receives 30% commission on all sold work. Schedule is published in the Collagraph Newsletter.
6. Art work will be accepted at the discretion of the Gallery Director. Any unresolved issues will be referred to the Board of Directors for review.
7. When exhibiting their art in Gallery, member is required to staff a minimum of 6 hours per month for each month their work is shown. Shifts are usually 3 hours twice a month, or one 6 hour shift - depending on member preference. If member is unable to staff at their scheduled time/date, it is their responsibility to find a replacement. If a replacement cannot be found, please notify the Gallery Director at least 24 hours in advance.
8. At time of entry into 2 month show, a calendar will be available for staffing signup. 9. For new members who have a working, full-time paid position of at least 5 days, OR a medical problem that would prevent staffing, the bi-monthly entry fee will be $7.00 per painting (four maximum) with 40% commission to the gallery on each piece sold.
10. Please submit any concerns about the Gallery in writing to Dick Massa, Director of the Gallery.
2014 Stockton Art League Membership »
- Monthly demonstrations
- Six shows a year
- 12 featured artists
- Workshops with reception
- Tours to art related
- Juried Haggin Show destinations
- Show catalog
- Member roster
- Art Auction
- Monthly newsletter