Executive Committee Message
An Executive Committee made up of The Board of Directors will be running the board meetings until vacant positions are filled. Currently, the board needs a president and a vice president.
Any SAL members interested in filling these two positions please contact Dick Massa or any board member. These positions must be filled soon. The board meetings have been changed to 4pm accommodate working board members and any new prospective members.
The next Board of Directors meeting will be on Wednesday February 1st, 2017 at 4pm. Members are welcome to attend all board meetings and to express opinions and offer ideas.
Board Executive Committee
Artist of the Month - Monette KeilReception • February 11th • 4-7:00pm
Monette Keil considers herself a gypsy because she might have been born in Riverside, CA but grew up all over this state, which has made her into the woman she is today. She was raised by her Nana who was a very strong and hard working woman and taught Monette how to persevere through the hard times. Monette currently lives in Lodi with her husband and daughter and works out of her home studio.
Art has always been a part of her life, it’s the way she has coped with all the changes that occurred in her life. She is very abstract thinker when it comes to life which has been a great theme throughout her work. Her work is known to be bright, peaceful and a reflection on her soul. Monette has been working in acrylics for over ten years.
She considers herself a self taught artist even though she did attend art classes at San Joaquin Delta College and took a semester at the University of the Pacific.
In creating her work she is able to open herself up to the possibilities of sharing her soul to the world. She hopes members and visitors enjoy her work for a lifetime and that her pieces become a part of your story.
5th Fall Regional Juried Show and Sale at SAL
The prospectus for the show is in the final stages of approval and will be available sometime in February. The exhibit will be on display from September 4th to the 29th, 2017, at the gallery.
Leo Yeni Raffle
The gallery netted a total of $1,280 on the Leo Yeni raffle. Thanks to those members and non-members who contributed.
Demo Artist of the Month - February 9, 2017
The next session will be a continuation of subject matter from the beginning session in 2016. Please bring anything you have previously been working on. Getting back to SAL’s roots which started as a critique group, we will reinitiate what was known as The Third Eye by Gail Hazard who was our President from 1960-1962. This was a meeting of members wherein they would bring a painting they were working on or recently completed and have the group go over it to see if there were any improvements that could be made. Serious art students will tell you that many times you learn more at critiques than sometimes doing.
Raoul will conduct the critique at the near end of our drawing session, so bring in one piece of your r ecent work as well as a pencil and paper for the drawing portion.
New YAP Program Schedule Announced
Our SAL Youth Art Program is happy to announce the Spring, 2017, series of classes scheduled for Saturday mornings on March 11, 18, 25, and April 1.
The classes for children ages 6-8 will run from 9 - 10:30am, and classes for ages 9-13 will run from 11am - 12:30pm.
Instruction will focus on such concepts as the basics of drawing, including mulmedia studies in value, perspective, composi on, contour drawing, positive vs. negative space, and color theory. Students must sign up for the entire series, and the classes will be filled on first come, first served basis. There will be a waiting list in case of cancellations. A recep on showcasing the students’ completed works will be held on April 1 from 2 - 3pm. All are invited.
Cost: $12.00 for the series of four classes. All proceeds go toward the class materials and instruction. Please provide the following information completely and send your check to SAL c/o Mary Little, 1902 Paciic Ave. Stockton, CA 95204 (209-466-6604), Gallery Hours: Tues.-Sat., 10am-4pm
You may also come to the gallery to pay with cash or credit card. (Scholarships are available)
Please pay the fee well in advance to ensure a place in the class for your student.
Stockton Airport Schedule
April 18, 2017
July 18, 2017
October 17, 2017
Pick up & delivery, 9 am at airport. Airport receptions, 4-7 pm
Artists hanging at airport are now responsible for delivering and picking up their own artwork
Please submit your label information for each piece of artwork to Dick Massa at least a week before hanging of the show.
Airport Reception Schedule
March 21, 2017
May 16, 2017
August 15, 2017
November 21, 2017
Note: Any SAL members that are interested in hanging their artwork at the airport, please contact Denny Ah-Tye at (209) 639-3720 or: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please check with Denny Ah-Tye before each airport reception, as the date may have changed.
A donation has been made to the SAL in Joan’s name by Dick Massa
A donation has been made to the SAL in LeDean's name by Dick Massa
A donation has been made to the SAL in Bernice’s name by Dick Massa
Art League Member Instructors
Art classes at Oak Park Senior Center
9:30am - 11:30
209-478-2731 or email@example.com for details
Hutchins St. Square Community Center Watercolor
Beginner classes: 9am - 11am Thurs.
Intermediate & Advanced: Noon - 3pm Thurs.
Chinese Brush Painting (Ink) Workshops
Ines Leontiev Hogan
Tracy Grand Theatre Center for the Arts
Relief Printmaking, Wednesdays, 6-9pm
Monotype Printmaking, Mondays, 7-9pm
Drawing, Tuesdays, 7-9pm
See www.atthegrand.org or: Ileontievfirstname.lastname@example.org
Tina Moore, PSA, PSW
Pastel Painting Workshops/Instruction
Free Drawing classes
2nd Thursday of every month, 3-5 pm
at Elsie May Goodwin Gallery
Gay Lynn Saunders
Wire Wrap Jewelry Classes
Private instruction and monthly classes at:
Hutchins Square Community Center,
Watercolor & Brushing Lettering
Beverly Fitch McCarthy
Janet Powell McKee
Ann & Scott Pickering
Betty Jean Reynolds
New SAL gallery guidelines for membership
1. Each individual/artist must be a member of the Stockton Art League, and pay one of the existing membership dues levels. Minimum dues are $35/year.
2. Each member may enter up to 4 pieces of their original art work in show (every 2 months). Work must be framed (unless the canvas sides are painted as part of the work) and have a wire hanger.
3. Art work shall be recent work done within the last 4 years. All art work must be for sale. Once submitted, work will remain for the duration of the show, unless it is sold. It may then be replaced without additional fee. Displays may not be changed nor entered after show is hung without consulting Aleen, Gallery Director.
4. There is a $5.00 charge for each painting entry into 2 month show. Exceptions are as follows:
- Three-dimiensional work: $7.00 per month
- Matted art work (in bins): $7.00 per 2 months
(maximum of 15 pieces)
- Jewelry: $7.00 per month
- Scarves: $7.00 per month
5. There will be a new exhibit approximately every 60 days. Art work may be re-entered every 6 months. Gallery receives 30% commission on all sold work. Schedule is published in the Collagraph Newsletter.
6. Art work will be accepted at the discretion of the Gallery Director. Any unresolved issues will be referred to the Board of Directors for review.
7. When exhibiting their art in Gallery, member is required to staff a minimum of 6 hours per month for each month their work is shown. Shifts are usually 3 hours twice a month, or one 6 hour shift - depending on member preference. If member is unable to staff at their scheduled time/date, it is their responsibility to find a replacement. If a replacement cannot be found, please notify the Gallery Director at least 24 hours in advance.
8. At time of entry into 2 month show, a calendar will be available for staffing signup. 9. For new members who have a working, full-time paid position of at least 5 days, OR a medical problem that would prevent staffing, the bi-monthly entry fee will be $7.00 per painting (four maximum) with 40% commission to the gallery on each piece sold.
10. Please submit any concerns about the Gallery in writing to Dick Massa, Director of the Gallery.
2017 Stockton Art League Membership »
- Monthly Art Demonstrations
- 12 featured artist shows with reception
- Juried Haggin Show
- Show catalog
- Member roster
- Art Library
- Monthly newsletter
- Painting Groups